Monday, April 13, 2015

Journal 5: Blankets by Craig Thompson Response

I love you, Raina.

           The graphic novel Blankets by Craig Thompson is an interesting and relatable book to read. The trailer created by Dtaberner does capture the experience of reading the book, but it does leave out some important parts of the novel. It does highlight themes such as figuring out your faith, how to grow up and be human, but leaves out the true inside feeling of his feelings about love and keeping to his faith.

            If I were asked to create a trailer to get my friends or family or other students to read Blankets, my trailer would need to include more of the main character's feelings, conflict within him figuring out his faith, and purpose in live or for the future. I would leave out some of the sexual drawings and focus more on the themes and lessons within the book. I would leave those “scenes” out because of certain audiences wanting to read this book. If younger high school students wanting to read this, I would describe and highlight the different parts of the book with reoccurring themes. I would first show the Craig and his brother playing in the snow and playing “Ship Wreck” in the bed they share. I would continue showing Craig growing up and at attending the Christian church camp younger and then in his teens. Next, show the strip of images of him meeting Raina for the first time. Then showing him talk to her and get to know her better. Also, in between show his confusion with his faith and future intentions. I would make sure to highlight the frustrations of falling in love and having a long distance relationships. In the end I would include focusing more on him confronting the past and relating to the future. I would not include a sad song but more of an upbeat and newer song relatable to high school students. The book reflects many themes and interesting experiences that can be relatable to many students and show them sides of less fortunate students can experience.  I would recommend students to read this book and see the other side of reading through images and words put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment